Sunday 13 April 2008

Week 1

I have decided to keep a blog to write down my experiences of being part of the Spring 2008 Bikram Teacher Training in Acapulco.

One week has passed by, probably the most challenging week of my life (even the 2 juice fast retreats I have done in the past are a piece of cake in comparison to this experience!). I have been keeping a daily journal which we have been encouraged to do. So this is just a little insight of what has been going on in my life last week. I arrived safely in Mexico Friday week ago, smooth flight and and baggage arrived as well (apparently many other students missed connection flights and luggage got lost). It was not easy to say good-bye to my dearest husband Armond, who took me to the airport but we both remained strong, positive and happy about the challenge we were both about to face, being apart for 8 weeks. Luckily, Armond is going to come to Acapulco at the end of week 8 and will stay here for graduation and then we will have a couple of days together before flying back to the UK.

Before I continue I would like to thank all my family and friends for their support, encouraging words and positive attitude towards me taking on this rather crazy challenge!!

My hotel room is very nice and comfortable, with a balcony and stunning sea view. Most people are sharing rooms so this is a real privilege to have my own room.

Last Sunday was orientation day which lasted about 3 hours and was a gentle introduction into the 9 weeks ahead of us and quite a bit of house-keeping. Then we were invited to dinner, the first of many many buffets meals at the hotel.

We are about 290 students on the course. Monday morning we met Bikram!!! This was quite a touching and emotional moment to finally meet the man who's Yoga I have been practising for the past 3 years!

Monday afternoon at 4pm was our first Yoga Class, The studio has been purpose built and is pretty amazing (used to be indoor Tennis courts). I was nervous, anxious and a little panicky. The feeling of being in a room with 290 people practising yoga is unique and there is such an energy present.

My first weeks Yoga classes:
Well, I wont go into too much detail but will say that they were really challenging classes for me, there was quite a bit of fear there, insecurity and many more emotions.....this is all normal I hear and no reason to panic, as MANY MANY students go through similar emotions.

Bikram said that this 1st week we were all experiencing a huge imbalance as the way we have been living our life previously has totally changed,but by next week nothing will bother us...and again we should trust the process.

Apart from the 2 classes per day (90 mins each in a hot and very humid room). We have had all 290 students present the Half Moon Pose dialogue to Bikram. All the lectures are held in a auditorium here at the hotel, with a stage and seats, so quite different to when Armond did his training in LA. We still have about 60 people to go on stage so this has taken up most of week 1.

I presented my posture on Wednesday and was pleased that it went well, Bikram's comments were: "very sweet, very convincing, good....a couple of small things that I will now not comment on but will get fixed once you start the posture clinic training".

I have already met many lovely people, every day at least somebody new. But 2 people I got to know really well this week and how have been a tremendous support to me were Robyn and Simone. Simone is from London and Robyn from Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was a real blessing to spend time with them and get their support. There is a big Wal-Mart close by which is good and we've been shopping there already twice.

I drink about 4-5 litres of water a day and eat a lot! Basically Craig said we should eat double then we normally do! The food at the hotel is very good and we get a free buffet every day.

It's now Sunday morning close to 10am and I will shortly go down for some Breakfast. Realised that the weekends will be when I miss Armond, my friends, my family and my home the most. But have to keep myself distracted and keep my goal alive of becoming a Bikram Yoga Teacher!!
There are beautiful swimming pools here and a stunning sea (which we have been going to after Yoga classes, straight in with our Yoga clothes on! That is a great and so refreshing!)

It is all a process and we have to trust the process. That is what they keep saying and I do believe it.

There is so much more to tell but at least you now have an idea of how things are going down here in sunny Acapulco!

My next blog entry will be shorter and hopefully more frequent! I've only just set it up after Robyn told me about her blog and I thought it was a great idea to communicate to the outside world.

It is such a privilege to be here and experience this, and despite my fear at times I am overwhelmed by the friendliness of the people here on the course and the support we are getting from Bikram, Craig and the senior teachers.

Lots of love,
Katherine

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kate, We are SO proud of you and wish you all the very best for the coming weeks. Thoughts and love, Mum and Dad

Anonymous said...

aWonderful blog! We are thinkng of you. How great of you to stay open to the process. Enjoy your free time and know that we are all here in cloudy, cold London slogging away at our lives...
Vahe cannot believe anywhere in the world someone would say eat twice the amount of food....he is ready to train!
May the Force Be With YOU!
Love sydney and vahe

Chris said...

Hi Kate, Just got back from a weekend in the New Forest and read your blog. Sounds like you are having an interesting and challenging time.Look forward to reading some more soon, love Chris and Pauline xx

Cliftonbay said...

I am also eating twice as much as usual since you left - you know, in sympathy :)

Cliftonbay said...

axxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Hey Katherine!

Arby and I have been thinking of you lots! Way to go girl!

Presenting a posture to the man himself must've been terrifying, especially in the first week, what an achievement, kinda like giving Da Vinci a painting lesson.....

By next week you'll probably be so used to the routine and the lifestyle that you won't even realise how hard it is....hang in there and enjoy the freedom of doing something that you love and for yourself instead of answering bucket loads of emails and phone calls....we're all so jealous!

thinking of you,

amalia and arby

xx

Cliftonbay said...

hang in there and enjoy the freedom of doing something that you love and for yourself instead of answering bucket loads of emails and phone calls....we're all so jealous

unfortunately she has to answer daily calls and emails from me - man, are Vodafone and Orange happy?!

Armond

Ramin said...

Good on you for going on the training. I'm not sure I'm jealous of being at yoga boot camp, but I am very jealous of doing my favourite yoga twice a day and concentrating on perfecting all those little things that you never get to concentrate on in the normal world.

I'm also thoroughly jealous of the view from your room and being able to go for a swim after a session.

Looking forward to taking your first class!!

Ramin.

Unknown said...

Hi Kate, Sounds as if week 2 is making a good start for you. Keep smiling, and keep your strength up!
Loads of love
Mumxxxx

rebecca said...

Hi Katherine, you have just made realise how I miss my scounting days, you seem to be havin it all different, and that is why you went away. Just keep that in mind and very soon we will have a very excellent yoga teacher. I wish you enough.

regards,
Rebecca

Esther said...

Hi Catherine

I just got the link to your blog from Pia.

Your course seems to be very interesting, but I guess it is also very challenging. I wish you all the best!

Best regards from Bern

Esther